Sunday, October 15, 2006

Deack update! - Stairs

Because of the height of our deck, we couldn't use pre-fab stair stringers (the notched pieces). John spent some quality time with a calculator and a square laying out the pattern in a big 2x12 piece of wood, and then we used that as a template for the other two. Thanks to some not-so-slick work with the circular saw, they came out not quite uniform, so I ended up using the belt sander to even them up before we attached the treads (the flat boards).

After all that, a friend pointed out that we could have bought a shorter riser from Home Depot pre-cut, and used it as a template instead of laying them out ourselves. But that's OK. I'm sure it was a valuable character-building experience for John...

No comments:

Post a Comment


Related Posts with Thumbnails