Tuesday, November 06, 2012

for the beauty of the earth

I find that I can’t walk around lately without ending up with a thick stack of leaves between my fingers.  I just can’t walk, or run by those bright bursts of color scattered at my feet without stopping to gather them up, to look deep into their beauty.  All my big books are bursting with pressed leaves beneath the pages.  I put some modge podge on some of them last weekend with the kids, but I haven’t made a dent.  I’m so thankful for the way my iPhone can capture some of the beauty so that my house doesn’t burst open with all the nature debris that I’m desperately trying to capture. Even these phone pictures spill out beauty and they don’t do the real thing justice.

Basically,  I’m overwhelmed lately by god’s artistry.IMG_3687Evidence of His love seems like it’s shouting out to me.  It lies over and around me, scooping me up into joy.    In colors and air and smells and crisp leaves crunching underfoot.  A circular rainbow overhead, the reflection of autumn's glory in a puddle.  I feel covered in it lately.  IMG_3493IMG_3527IMG_3541IMG_3629My kids called me outside to see this miracle rainbow, straight above us in the air.  IMG_3644I think it might be a little ridiculous how much this tree at the end of our road makes me happy.  IMG_3678IMG_3683IMG_3688IMG_3698I nearly drive off the road every time this flaming tree comes into view.  IMG_3701

I love how autumn proceeds thanksgiving and then thanksgiving proceeds Christmas.  The progression of it all helps me focus on how blessed this world is.  I find myself singing this hymn to myself when I grab a minute to soak it all in.

For the Beauty of the Earth

For the beauty of the earth
For the glory of the skies,
For the love which from our birth
Over and around us lies:
 
Refrain:
'Lord of all, to Thee we raise
this our joyful hymn of praise.
 
For the beauty of each hour
Of the day and of the night,
Hill and vale and tree and flow'r
Sun and Moon and stars of light
 
Refrain
 
For the joy of human love,
Brother, sister, parent, child.
Friends on earth and friends above
For all gentle thoughts and mild.
 
IMG_3459

I get choked up by the line:  love, which from our birth, over and around us lies.  I love how universal this is.  Everyone, no matter their birth or circumstance is surrounded by this beauty of the earth.  It will remind us of God’s love for us if we let it. 

I’m going to do my best this thanksgiving season to really see all the beauty and evidence of love around me.

6 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and beautiful pictures. I think your awareness right now is a tender mercy to help you cope with the hard work the bishopping is going to mean for your whole family. We love you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just found your blog yesterday, but I love it. Your joy makes me happy as well. Born and raised in the Northeast (CT) we moved down south last summer. Funny when all the people here say "wait until you see our folliage", i just chuckle to myself and think y'all, we invented folliage up north!!
    just kidding, but your fall leaf pictures are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel as though I've been sent straight to heaven! Gorgeous stuff for the mind as well as the eye!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i often pick up leaves as i am walking to and from school/the subway/my internship. i like to carry them for a while and then leave the beautiful things in unexpected places. it makes the commute way more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently started reading your blog and I really enjoy it! We live near Boston too and have lots of little adventures. I have a little tiny blog about the places we go in New England: http://placeswegoinma.blogspot.com/

    Nothing like yours though! I also really liked reading about your England adventures, I was lucky enough to live in Wales when I was 6 and 7, alot like your kids, and I do remember quite a bit of my life there! I am really intrigued by some of the places you blogged about like Georges Island, we've never been there so perhaps we'll try that out soon!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails