Sunday, January 27, 2013

we interrupt these outdated posts to bring you: Charlie, our newest 7 year old!

  

Charlie Dean turned 7 yesterday.  My little baby boy.  SEVEN.  I can hardly stand it. He’s growing so big and smart and capable.   I am loving watching all that is growing out of him as he grows up, he is such a bright light in our family and in the world. 

We had a great day celebrating who he is.  IMG_1566The day consisted of:

Birthday Breakfast of his beloved Jackson Soufflé

Opening all his presents (he was so excited about opening them that he couldn’t space them out through the day like he had wanted to.  Instead he opened them all at breakfast.  Which was good, because they kept him entertained all day.  (Thanks Grammie and Grandfather and G and G Shumway!)IMG_1567 I didn’t take pictures of all the treasures he got but he got all that his little heart desired: Magic Tree House and A-Z mystery books, a model airplane, a remote control helicopter, Kanoodle, some star wars tattoos, scriptures from Hazel and some wood carving supplies).  He was delighted and so thankful for everything he received.  IMG_4396

In the afternoon I took him on a little lunch date and to the store to buy some new trousers (he’s growing so fast!).  We had such a great little talk at lunch.  Charlie has so much going on in that little brain of his and it felt so good to not have any other children or distractions around, to just be in his world for an hour.  I like his world.  I was so deep in his world that I didn’t even snap a pictures (which I’m sure he was happy about).

In the afternoon we went to the YMCA with the Krucks to swim.  Charlie’s big birthday tradition is swimming to commemorate his unusual birth.  It’s his odd birthday year, so no real party, but I decided to let him invite the Krucks to go with us since they are basically family.  We all had a crazy loud time in the pool. I’m sure the life guards were happy to see our clan pack up. 

After swimming we came home and had some Pizza and cake.

Charlie was very insistent that Hazel and I plan out a surprise cake for him (I think because we made an “alternative” candy bar cake for Jeff this year).  Hazel came up with the idea of making a blue swirly water looking kin of cake.  I think it turned out pretty cool.  Not sure if Charlie was as impressed as he might have been if it had been made out of huge chocolate bars, but he was pretty happy. 

december 2012IMG_1569 I love these three boys.  I am so thankful that Charlie has such good friends.  They are hilarious to watch together.  They talk and conspire and plan and create.  This trio gives Charlie everything his little boy heart needs from friends, and that is a blessed thing.  IMG_1571 IMG_1573 IMG_1576 IMG_1579 IMG_1580 IMG_1581 

7 Things I Love about Charlie right now:

1. Charlie is a rough and tumble boy with all the normal craziness, silliness, frustration and distractions of a boy his age, but under it all he has a golden heart.  He is sensitive, and sorry and kind and good.  He loves his siblings fiercely, he protects then and nurtures them.  Often when things are going awry and I’m upset or stressed Charlie is the one who comes and gives me a big hug to calm me down.  He will still crawl up onto my lap and cuddle with me while we talk.  I love that.

2. Charlie is easy going.  He usually just goes with the flow.  About a month or two after we returned from England Charlie said to me, “Mom, I didn’t really love England, I was just going with the flow.”  It’s true, he doesn’t complain much and when asked he can usually drop things and just roll with whatever is going on, even if it’s not what he most wants. 

3.  Charlie has a good little brain in that head.  Just in the past few months his reading has really taken off.  He struggled with it for a while, but then I explained to him that he was going up a big steep mountain and that he was almost there, and once he peaked he’d start going downhill and reading was going to be nothing but joy for his little thirsty brain.  That analogy clicked and he worked so hard to get to the top of that mountain.  And now he’s racing down the other side, devouring books.  His brain makes amazing connections, knows how to articulate new ideas, create solutions, build, comprehend complex things.  I wish I could be in his brain for a day.  I can’t wait to see what he does with all that power in there.

4. Charlie is confident.  He believes there is nothing he can’t do.  And I think he’s probably right.

5. Charlie is a good friend.  He is so good at meeting people, he effortlessly navigates social situations, he knows how to look out for the underdog.

6. Charlie has my same taste buds.  He likes all the food that I like, and that makes me happy (at least one person will always be excited about what I make for dinner).

7. Charlie is good to his core.  He wants to do what is right.  I remember a few hours before he was born, just when labor was kicking in on the exact day, at the exact time that I hoped my baby would come, I had a distinct impression that this little boy was going to be a delight to all of us.  That he was going to choose the right, that he was going to be a bright light in the world.   Boy, was that ever a true impression.

Love you dear little Charlie Dean!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails