Friday, August 21, 2015

Up North.

IMG_3619When we lived in England back in 2012 we tried over and over to plan a trip up north with the Schwartz's.  Rob lived up in Cheshire when he was a teenager and Ames had told me so much about the beauty and magic of that place.  But it never happened.  So, Ames and Rob made it happen for us. And it was every bit as magical as they had professed.  IMG_1843

It took us the better part of a day to get up there, but that was mostly due to unlucky traffic and potty/snack breaks.  The first thing we did after arriving and meeting Amy’s good friends who so graciously let us stay with them was to go to Teggs Nose to take a country walk.  It was FREEZING, uncommonly so for June.  While my bones were screaming with cold my eyes were feasting on all that lush green, the vistas, the craggy hills, the wildflower paths, the rock walls.  It was all pretty magical.   IMG_3638My stellar niece Elle was spending the summer in London for her pre-senior year summer internship so we kidnapped her to come up north with us.  My kids were so delighted to spend some quality time with her and I was too.  It’s so fun to have a little more one on one time with her since I usually only see her when she is one of the 27 grandkids.  She pretty much rocks.  IMG_1849I loved watching these kids scamper through this countryside.  Makes me wish they could interact with the natural world like this all the time.  The world wakes us up.  Especially children.  IMG_1852IMG_1854IMG_1860Em’s relationship with Lambie hasn’t really changed in the past 3 years, but they both look a little older and more worn.  (see here for more Lambie adventures in the countryside)[IMG_78423.jpg]IMG_1862IMG_1874Here’s the best group shot we could manage.  Calling all those kids down from their wanderings was an impossible task.  I loved this family that we got to know (and stay with).  They were so gracious and funny and good and took us to see incredible things. IMG_1881IMG_1884I’m gonna let these pictures mostly tell this story.  My words can’t do it justice.  I guess the pictures can’t really either.  I wish you could smell and hear and feel the thrill of an experience more than you can through pictures.  IMG_1886IMG_1889IMG_1895IMG_1900Exploring and climbing on old machinery was another, different thrill for those kids.  IMG_1902IMG_1904IMG_1906Peter always with a stick.  Usually the stick is a sword.  And he’s slaying dragons.  IMG_1908IMG_1914I love these shots of these two friends.  IMG_1916IMG_1930IMG_1931IMG_1936IMG_1945IMG_1951IMG_1952IMG_1954One of my favorite things about this trail was the little library someone had built there, perched on top of the hill, surrounding the countryside.  What a beautiful thing. IMG_3649IMG_1957This kid was cracking me up with his modeling poses.  IMG_1960IMG_1964IMG_1968These girls?  Stunning.  IMG_1970IMG_1975IMG_1977IMG_1984I love this Peter boy.  And I hope one day he’ll marry this Elsa girl.IMG_1990IMG_2003IMG_3669IMG_3677Picking wildflowers, making daisy chains.  This are the crystal moments of childhood.  IMG_3678IMG_3691

IMG_2013

IMG_3595

Oh England.  I love you.  Your crags and moors and flowers and your green.  Everything in you makes me feel green and lush and alive. 

7 comments:

  1. Wow! So gorgeous!
    I want to go there. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! So gorgeous!
    I want to go there. Soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Teggs Nose - my husband works just round the corner in Macclesfield, and we meet up with him, late on summer afternoons for a walk in the Cheshire countryside. But, you know, freezing days aren't that unusual in June (July, August....)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pix.

    I love how the simple art of making daisy chains is enjoyed by children over the world.

    The title should be Oop North the way Northerns say it.:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These photos are simply dazzling! I almost missed this! What a grand memory!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hazel's freckles...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I cannot even believe this beauty! I want to go there so bad!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails