In the mean time, check out what my friend Liz is up to this summer. She’s taking her whole family to Greece to set up an education center in a refuge camp! Isn’t that amazing? Wish I could go, but since I can’t I am determined to do something to help with her cause.
My Go Jane Give fundraiser was so fulfilling, I loved connecting with so many big hearted people to take their photos. And together we’ve raised nearly $2500! Thanks so much to all who have spread the word and made donations.
To help with the education center I’ve decided to do a “Say Cheese for Refugees Part 2.” I would love for you to get involved! Here are some things you can do right now to make a big difference:
- Follow this link to make a direct donation. Donations of ANY AMOUNT will make a difference. And every donation comes with a gift – either a portrait session or access to my top ten portrait photo tips. 100% of all donations will go directly to funding a new education center at the Oinofyta Refugee Camp in Greece. I can’t think of a more concrete way to help tackle this refugee crisis.
- Create your own fundraiser. Go Jane Give makes it so easy to find an idea, make a page and start raising money. When you’re creating your page just type “Do Your Part, Inc” when it asks you to pick your cause. All donations from your page will be earmarked specifically to help create the Education Center.
- Share my Go Jane Give page (or this blog post) with friends and family via email, instagram, twitter etc.
REFUGEE RELIEF for GREECE 2016
Many of us have been moved by the heart-wrenching images of refugees pouring into Greece, arriving in over-packed boats, homeless and possessionless--but not hopeless. After much searching for a small way to help, our family will be heading to Greece to work in the Oinofyta Refugee Camp this summer.
Oinofyta (pronounced “ee naw fee tah”) is a brand new family camp, housing about 700 refugees. About 50% of those refugees are kids and they and their families have been forced from their homes by threats or acts of violence. Many have lost family members and children and now face a reality of living in camps for an average of three years. From our vantage point, they all have unbelievable stories.
The project manager of this camp is doing an amazing job organizing this camp around the concept of self-sufficiency and it is clean and very well run. There are no locked gates and refugees are free to come and go as they please. The refugees provide their own security, food distribution, teachers, etc. and while there are classrooms and teachers for the younger kids, there is no space or computers for online schooling for the 12-18 year-olds which leaves them at a distinct disadvantage as they struggle to restart their lives in a new country.
The Edwards family will be holding a GIGANTIC YARD SALE, Saturday July 9, from 9-3 at 94 Golden Run Road in Bolton to raise money for a new Education Center in the camp, including a mobile classroom, 20 computers, printers, desks, and chairs so the youth in the camp can continue their education by enrolling in online schooling during this time of crisis.
HOW CAN YOU HELP?
1) Clean out your basements, garages and sheds and donate items to the yard sale. You can drop off donations on July 6, 7, and 8 from 6-8pm at 94 Golden Run Road, Bolton, Massachusetts. Or contact us if you need to make other arrangements.
2) Come to the yard sale! Mark your calendars for July 9 to get a great deal for a great cause!
3) Join us by creating your own fundraiser with your family or friends to make this Education Center a reality for these refugees! If you need ideas, Go Jane Give can help. Just be sure to type in Do Your Part, Inc. when it asks for your cause. All funds from Go Jane Give will be earmarked for the education center.
4) Make a donation! If you'd prefer to make a financial contribution to the Refugee Relief 2016 project, that's great, too! Just go to https://gojanegive.org/say-cheese-for-refugees-part-2/ Any little bit will help! And you’ll get some photo tips or a portrait session as a thank you!
100% of every dollar will go to the Education Center.
FOR THE LATEST UPDATES, FOLLOW US ON FACEBOOK! www.facebook.com/2016RefugeeRelief
THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP AND SUPPORT!
If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us at RefugeeRelief2016@gmail.com or call Hannah Edwards at (978) 875 1048.