Sunday, November 16, 2008

Thank goodness for good friends and an amazing house husband

We made it through the first week people! Man, I had forgotten how hard that first week can be.....there are some not so magical parts: rocks attached to your chest, a baby sucking on you all the time, no sleep, your body feeling like your insides are going to fall out, hormones.

I'm so grateful for all the people who stepped in this week to make possible for me to enjoy the good and the bad. My mom, who is "stuck"working with my dad in Vietnam and Singapore is especially grateful for all the help I've had (she's the kind of mom who's heart hurts to think of her daughter with a new baby and no mom around.)

This week I've felt so showered with concern and help and support. People have brought amazing food, and gifts and have taken the kids when we needed it most. Our dear friend RS even took them overnight and showed them the time of their lives.

Seriously, can you believe that she took them to all these fun places? And fed them a real meal with spinach and popovers and chicken cutlets? With six kids in tow? Serious superwoman.
That's just want they needed....and it was so nice for me and Jeff to just have little E....it was like she was our first baby, so peaceful and calm around here.

And, I have to say, Jeff has really been amazing this week. He has taken care of everything in the house and sadly done it all much better than I do it on a regular basis. I wish Social Work or photography would support our family better cause I think Jeff makes a pretty darn good and productive House Husband. He is so nurturing to our kids (they're having the time of their lives eating all Daddy food and doing fixer guy things with him) and so good at getting little loose ends on the house tied up with any spare time. I have been super impressed. He hasn't even watched tv all week. Amazing.
While our kids were off with RS he went and picked up a bed off of craigslist so that Hazel wouldn't have to sleep on the floor in Charlie's room anymore. The kids were ecstatic when they came home to find their new room set up. They LOVE it and something about being on different levels makes it much more difficult for them to keep each other up at night.

And, with the help of an awesome cabinet maker Steve (RS helped us find him too....what a great friend!) Jeff has finished our island and we're just waiting for the counter top. Oh, I'm a happy lady.

And now my dear Sister has arrived. And then my mom comes next week. We're going to make it! What on earth do people do without this kind of support? It makes me want to reach out to all new moms everywhere.

The world is good place with so many good people. Thank you everyone.

6 comments:

  1. Oh man Saydi, I'm so glad to see this! There's just no way to make that first week easy on your body but these great friends and now Shawni have made it so much better for your mind (and my mind)! Hooray for fabulous friends and sensational sisters! I'm counting hours but it's hard because we're 11 hours ahead of you. We're getting on the plane in 24 hours from now!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops, forgot to mention the most important one of all...because I knew he'd be there...but what a Superman! Love the bunk beds and the Island but most of all that devoted dad and hugely helpful husband! Well done Jeff!
    LOVE you! Linda in Kuala Lumpur

    ReplyDelete
  3. What you didn't mention was that I wanted to keep Hazel and Charlie for so much longer. They are too dear and we're counting down the days until the next sleepover.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saydi & Jeff!

    Congrats on such a beautiful birth and such a beautiful baby! I have been weeping looking at your amazing blog/life. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

    (I have a portable dishwasher too). Seeing the island Jeff/cabinet maker made for it is what I think induced the tears :).

    Kristin Behling Valle

    ReplyDelete
  5. Saydi & Jeff!

    Congrats on such a beautiful birth and such a beautiful baby! I have been weeping looking at your amazing blog/life. Thank you for being such an inspiration.

    (I have a portable dishwasher too). Seeing the island Jeff/cabinet maker made for it is what I think induced the tears :).

    Kristin Behling Valle

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you! I have no idea how people cope on their own, and I feel a responsibility to help when I can because I got so much when I had my baby! Your babies are ALL beautiful, the littlest one and the big ones, too :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails