Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Library Girl

-2723 Hazel finally got her library card!  She had to learn to write her last name in order to be able to sign for her card….and she was bound and determined one day to get it.  She practiced a few times and then marched right into library with all her Hazel confidence and determination.  I loved watching her slowly sign her name at the librarians desk.  Hopefully this will be the beginning of a great library career for this little girl (I’m hoping she’ll have a better track record of returning the books on time than I do). 

Hazel is slowly learning to read and loving it.  She has set up her “reading space” on the window sill in our living room.  She hides out there with her “chapter books” (they each have three chapters and each chapter has about 7 three letter words in it) and reads and reads.  I think she’s motivated because I told her once she knows how to read she can read whenever she wants to….no restrictions like there are with TV or the computer.  She’s pretty psyched about that.  I hope with all my heart one day I’ll have to eat my words and tell her that she HAS to stop reading and come down to dinner….I dream of having a veracious reader.  Any tips in that department?  -2714

I love this little five year old. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember my mom taking me to the library to get my first library card. That's when you know you've arrived! Read, Hazel, Read!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:03 PM

    Hazel should talk to Maddie. She is the most voracious reader I know. Once she confessed to me that she wanted to read past bedtime so badly that she tried to rub 2 pennies together to make light. Copngratulations, Hazel!
    Grandma S.

    ReplyDelete
  3. C-U-T-E! It all started with those 100 library books that summer....all returned...on time! Nothing short of a miracle!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally catching up in blog world, so fun to read your updates. My Ella and Hazel must be long lost buddies. Both have to wait till Kindergarten by only a few days, both being homeschooled, both wanted camp outs in a tent for their birthday party. And both have the same exact lunch box! When I read your blog, if there were no pictures, all the stories would have matched Ella's life! Maybe they will be roommates at college some day. They look like they are on the same path. Wish we could come visit and let them play!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails