Sunday, August 29, 2010

pick your lunch



I think I'm in love with my garden. Here's why: it teaches my kids all kinds of things, it keeps them entertained and excited and.....most of all, it feeds them.  They can play out in the back yard for hours and I don't have to stop what I'm doing to get them a snack (that's the kind of mom I am....I hate stopping what I'm doing to get snacks).  They just pick their snacks as they go. Sure, they eat a lot of dirt....Emmeline eats the whole strawberry, stem and all, but I think all that's supposed to be good for their immune systems, right?  The other day they decided that they wanted to pick their own lunch.  So I sat merrily completing my tasks while they picked and ate.  Hazel even made her own pb and j sandwich to go along with her tomatoes, strawberries and carrots.      



Here's Charlie's lunch. He was so proud of himself.


Don't you love all that dirt on Emmeline's face?  Evidence of what a great immune system she's bound to have.  

5 comments:

  1. WOW! Those veggies are great but real strawberries and raspberries? That's impressive! That East coast climate along with your green thumb make beautiful things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. dirt is good for kids!

    ReplyDelete
  3. dirt! you are lucky that you are already harvesting. we still have a while. the main thing we are geetting right now is new zealand spinich. it is thicker than regular spinich and tastes a bit richer. give that a try next year. i want your zukes though. and we just have a bunch of very green tomatoes.
    the pictures of gabriel are fantastic too. i really like the one from up above. it is good to get a different perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a firm believer in strengthening immune systems through dirt intake as well :).

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't wait to have a garden. this is inspiring. I'm a new mother to a basil plant I bought a few weeks ago. Couldn't help but think of you when i got it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails